History and Culture
The history of the city starts with the dawn of time.
The name of our country, Italia, comes from the ancient name of Reggio Calabria, city at the top of the Italic boot.
According to the myths, its foundation was thanks to Aschenez, Noah’s grandson, or Giocasto, son of the God Eolo.
It was a multicultural crossway of the greatest mediterranean civilizations, and glorious city of the Magna Greece.
Indeed, it was an important metropolis for the romans, byzantines, and other western civilizations like the normans and the aragonians.
Its varied past gave the city a sumptuous archaeological and historical heritage.
Reggio Calabria, in fact, is rich of places of historical and cultural interest.
Walking in the city center
Walking around the city center is an unforgettable experience.
It’s the perfect place to start enjoying the history and archeology of the City.
Must see places are:
- The MArRC – the National Archeological Museum of Reggio Calabria and the Bronzes of Riace within
- The greek walls and the roman thermes
- The Cathedral and the Diocesan Museum
- The Aragonese Castle
The city has an incredible architectonic heritage and an amazing natural background. A walk on the Corso Garibaldi, most elegant street of the historical city center, or on the Lungomare Falcomatà, is the best way to fully enjoy your experience. Maybe tasting a good Italian gelato and – why not? – living a breathtaking sunset on the beach.
Visiting the surroundings
Furthermore, from Reggio Calabria, pearl of Magna Graecia, it is easy to get to many other archeological sites and rich museums. For example, Roccelletta di Borgia, which hosts the famous Scolacium Park and the MAK – Archeological Museum of Monasterace.
All of the museums and sites are always a few steps away from incredible beaches and beautiful panoramic views. That is why we take pride in organizing external activities and day trips during our Italian courses in the most beautiful locations of the region.
Find out some of the most beautiful places in the surroundings.
Sea and Mountain
Reggio Calabria and its surroundings offer great opportunities for day trips and relax.
Calabria has an incredible natural heritage made up of both splendid mountains and dream beaches.
Tropea, Palmi and all the other numerous beach locations on the Costa Viola offer the perfect scenario for study breaks.
Mountain lovers won’t be disappointed either! Just to name a few, the Aspromonte Park or Serra San Bruno are only an example of the incredible natural reserves of the region.
Entertainment and Music
Especially during summer, Reggio Calabria is full of entertainment and music. You will find many cultural events, theater plays, concerts, literary events, art and photo galleries. Villa Zerbi, il Palazzo della Cultura, il Castello Aragonese e il Teatro Comunale are some of the incredible locations where these events take place. Every year there are several festivals and popular events organized around Reggio and its province. DEAfest and Paleariza are an example. Splendid locations like Pentedattilo, Bova and Roghudi become the perfect background for events that mix culture, entertainment and tradition.
How to move around
- directions_busPublic bus transport ATAM Reggio Calabria S.p.A. manages public transportation in the metropolitan area of Reggio Calabria. Other bus lines are Autolinee Brosio, Autolinee Federico, Autolinee Lirosi, Autolinee Tripodi, Costaviola BUS.
- directions_bus Touristic bus will give you the chance to tour the city and find out its wonders.
- local_taxi Taxi service which covers the most common urban routes, like to and from the port and airport.
- directions_car Car rental service through several companies (Autoeuropa, Car Service Autonoleggio, HappyCar, Hertz, Locauto Rent Autonoleggio, Maggiore, Sixt, Travel Car Service) will allow you to move around in complete autonomy.
- directions_boat Boat service to Messina, Isole Eolie e Malta or Metromare service
- directions_boat Boat rental service for a day trip by boat to the Isole Eolie, Taormina, Scilla and Cariddi (Aura Charter – Noleggio Imbarcazioni, Fair Charter Nautic Touristic Service srl, Parallelo 38 Charter, Reggio Charter, Reggio Mare Charter Nautico, Spartivento Group S.p.A.)
You can contact us using the form, by mail or by phone. We are here to give you all the information about the Italian course and how to plan your study trip in Italy. Contact us. Do not be shy!